Jury research to validate your strategy, story, and witnesses.
Over 30 years of experience, analysis, and advice.
For over 30 years, the country’s top law firms have trusted us to provide jury research services. Our Jury Consultants provide insight into how jurors will perceive key issues, evidence, and testimony. They make substantive contributions to your litigation strategies and assist you in preparing persuasive cases. To accomplish these aims, they rely on a combination of rigorous social science methods, decades of practical experience, communication theory, jury psychology, information processing theory, group dynamics, and our Theory of Core Values that motivate jurors’ decision-making.
Validation of your trial strategy requires jury research to maximize the chances your client will win. This research includes both qualitative and quantitative analyses that answer such questions as:
- Does your proposed strategy work?
- Does your story have themes and a plot that resonates?
- Is your presentation understandable and compelling?
- Which potential jurors are most likely to become your advocates in deliberations?
- What tools do those jurors need to evaluate, understand, and advocate for your case?
We design and staff our research (live or online) to generate the highest level of quantitative statistical advice as well as the most practical qualitative analysis to inform your voir dire and trial strategy. We carefully recruit mock jurors to precisely match the demographic characteristics of a typical jury panel in your venue. Following the research project, we will deliver a written summary and a detailed presentation summarizing the key findings and providing practical recommendations for trial strategy.
Working with IMS | The Focal Point Jury Consultants
Our Jury Consultants use a variety of tools to help you understand how jurors will receive and process your case, including:
Jury Research Projects
- Online or in-person focus groups: These facilitated discussions with mock jurors test their reactions to case themes and key issues, their assessments of witnesses, and the effectiveness of arguments. By learning this information early in the discovery process, you will be better able to devise winning metaphors, analogies, themes, and strategies.
- Online or in-person mock trials: By enabling argumentative attorney case presentations, either prerecorded or live, IMS provides jurors with an online, simulated trial structure. In a group format, mock jurors deliberate specific verdict questions, enabling you to assess the types of arguments trial jurors will likely make and the conclusions they will likely reach. Deliberations are followed by a consultant-led discussion of key issues.
- Community attitude surveys: Whether conducted through online surveys or telephone surveys, during these unprecedented times, community attitude research is an excellent way to learn community sentiments regarding your case. Online surveys offer you a cost-effective way to assess jurors’ reactions to the positions of parties, identify characteristics of favorable and unfavorable jurors, and uncover preexisting attitudes within your venue.
Strategy & Presentation Consulting
- Witness preparation: Enhances the clarity and confidence of fact and expert witness testimony at trial and depositions through communication skills training and strategic recommendations. Witness prep session can be conducted in person or remotely.
- Shadow juries: Real-time analysis of the reactions and perspectives of a small group of shadow jurors, selected to match the profiles of actual jurors, conducted by an experienced jury consultant who provides daily reports to trial counsel, enabling on-the-fly strategy assessment and case adjustment.
- Voir dire strategy: Development of voir dire questions that will effectively identify dangerous jurors and provide an opportunity for them to express a bias that may support a challenge for cause.
- Juror questionnaires: Artful development of supplemental juror questionnaires that identify the most dangerous jurors without exposing favorable jurors.
- Analysis of juror questionnaires: We are able to analyze jury questionnaires quickly, efficiently, and accurately, whether on the fly in the courtroom or overnight.
- Juror social media research: We can provide strategic insights and recommendations about your jurors using background research that provides a deep scrape of jurors’ social media profiles, consumer reports, property records, and political history.
- Jury selection: Assistance tracking and interpreting juror comments and analysis of that information against jury questionnaire answers, enabling data-driven recommendations to be offered in real time.