Graphic Design Director (New York)
Graphic Design Director
Founded in 1989, The Focal Point is a leading national trial consulting firm. Our mission: Deliver winning strategies and solutions leveraging our diverse expertise and creative spirit.
We work with trial lawyers on complex, high stakes cases to uncover persuasive case theories and themes and turn them into winning courtroom presentations. We help our clients explore trial communications issues, discover critical insights, and develop powerful graphics designed for maximum impact on decision makers.
At The Focal Point (TFP), we value individual initiative and encourage free thinking and innovation. We welcome individuals who are enthusiastic about building a meaningful career and invite them to be part of this leading company in the field of trial communications.
Graphic designers at TFP are primarily responsible for creating artwork and information graphic designs for litigation support in collaboration with our trial consultants. Doing so requires creative judgment, technical facility, organization, adherence to quality standards, and management of multiple design projects. The core practice includes evaluating raw materials, working from templates and standards, generating new illustrations and designs from sketches, formatting text, preparing documents and raw materials, graphic iteration, contributing to conceptual development, and utilizing quality control procedures.
We are looking for a full-time Graphic Design Director to lead our graphic design team based out of either our New York City or Dallas locations. The ideal candidate is an organized leader who can inspire desired behaviors at all levels of the company and has the ability to understand this niche industry, the nuances of working in this unique design field, and its client base. Our work can sometimes require quick turnaround of high-volume work product. It is primarily shown in conservative venues and is subject to the legal standards of admissibility. As such, accuracy and attention to detail are paramount. The Graphic Design Director needs to appreciate these parameters and at the same time inspire other designers (and the company at large) toward creating best in class design that is persuasive and stimulating to our audience.
- Oversees and coaches all employees in department; provides guidance to managers with direct reports within department in such areas as client service (both internal/external), team management, and communication. Responsible for conducting performance reviews.
- Has managerial responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating staffing of cases based on capacity and project needs
- Identifies and communicates areas for training and continued development
- Develops vision and executes growth plan for department in regards to hiring, recruiting, and staff retention while gaining consensus among stakeholders for a company that is in high-growth mode
Managing quality work
- Quality control: Ensures department’s work aligns with department vision, standards, and principles through periodic review and providing constructive feedback and follow-up
- Maintains active involvement in daily operations to help designers meet deadlines and continue making best practices a reality and consistent across the department
- Proactively identifies potential problems or opportunities, analyzes issues using all appropriate resources, and arrives at optimal courses of action
- Manages existing tools and processes and determines how to best represent work externally
- Manages budget and revenue goals for department and reports progress to management and others in the company
- Promotes and sustains a culture of collaboration, growth, and accountability while also being a champion for good design within the company
- With an understanding and learning of TFP’s niche design standpoint, actively establishes stylistic concepts, techniques/tools, and standards for design staff
We Are Looking For:
- Fluent understanding of Microsoft office (primarily: PowerPoint)
- Expert illustration and design skills within the Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Illustrator and Photoshop
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including but not limited to working as a senior designer in information-related design, client-facing relationships, and managing people and teams
- BFA or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Excellent customer service focus and able to understand the business of The Focal Point and bring new ideas that align with the business
- Strong communication and organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to think analytically
- Excellent consultative and facilitative skills to gain consensus with both individuals and in group settings
- Ability to provide clear direction as well as a team-oriented individual who is comfortable asking questions and can both share and receive feedback
- A self-motivated individual who has pride in their design product, is open to learning, good-humored, and has enthusiasm to innovate
- Approachable and highly empathetic for other creatives and maintains effective working relationship with other departments
· Openness to assume additional responsibilities and pitch in wherever needed
- Ability to prioritize projects, meet deadlines, and be available on short notice as needed to attend to case and staff needs
- Ability to travel to meet with designers from various offices
- Demonstrated skills in scripting, 3D modeling, animation or motion design (After Effects), a plus but not required
Please review our web site at www.thefocalpoint.com and tell us why you would be a good match in your cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also appreciate having access to your resume and portfolio.